With Shrove Tuesday, aka pancake day, fast approaching on the 9th Feb here are a few ideas to make your pancake day delicious with my 10 best pancake fillings.
To start with please don’t buy a packet mix! Pancakes are one of the easiest things to rustle up, their just a simple batter mix of flour and milk with 1 – 2 eggs and a pinch of salt. You can easily substitute flour for an alternative to make it gluten free and use a dairy alternative such as soya or almond milk for dairy free. How thick or runny you make it will determine whether you create the thick fluffy American style piles, or the similar but smaller round Scotch ones verses the thin crispy edged French Crepe.
I love crepes, they are quick and easy to cook requiring less than a minute on each side, and lots of fun always ensues trying to flip them in the pan! But I do also have a soft spot for the occasional American style ones though they are much more filling! I like to make the thicker ones with some buttermilk and add porridge oats to the mix. Yummy!
Here’s a few links to some basic pancake mix recipes:
And so what to have with these delightful simple creations;
- Organic Blueberries, strawberries and Raw Honey or Canadian maple syrup. If you are feeling extravagant you could add a dollop of crème fraiche on top!
- Organic banana, melted dark cooking chocolate and hemp seeds or chopped nuts.
- Classic simple fresh lemon juice and sugar. Caster or soft brown sugar tastes best. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon for a wee warming twist.
- Canadian maple syrup with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or crème fraiche
- Early forced rhubarb with orange and star anise jus
Canadian Maple syrup: The quality of the syrup you use really makes a difference so don’t buy a cheap one. The lighter the colour the more delicate the flavour, while darker ones go from rich, robust to strong in taste.
Raw Honey: You can buy raw honey from a market or independent seller such as Bermondsey Bees and Pearly Queen Honey. Supermarket honey is usually a blend, and processed. Taste raw honey and it will be like you are tasting honey for the first time. You’ll never go back, I promise.
- Wild Scottish Smoked Salmon with cream cheese. Finish with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice.
- Classic streaky bacon and Canadian maple syrup. I don’t eat bacon but I think some nice Applewood smoked variety would be particularly tasty here. Devon Rose sells an award winner.
- Roasted organic squash, soft goats cheese and rosemary
- Roasted organic tomato and sautéed chestnut mushrooms and pine nuts
- Organic blanched spinach and soft lemon & cracked black pepper goats cheese
I hope these tasty pancake filling ideas get you in the mood for some flipping great pancakes!